Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Lengston Houghes Response

     "I, Too" by Lengston Houghes is kind of a call and response to "I Hear America Singing" by Walt Whitman except it is talking more of the dark side of america.  The poem is about how the African Americans were discriminated against in America.  the peom is conveing that all of America isnt as happy as Walt Whitman says it was because Walt doesnt say anything about the blacks being discriminated.  I thnk that it is a black person speaking on this poem.
        
         This poet utalizes repatition, and some imegary.  "They send me to eat in the kitchen when company comes, I laugh." helps convey meaning because it is showing that people try to put the blacks down, but they just laugh.

1 comment:

  1. some good ideas here, but could you at least get the author's name right and capitalize "America?" Also try to expand on the last paragraph

    ReplyDelete